Sunday, December 4, 2011

Interview with the author (Jon Winders)

 You can read Jon Winders' blog here

1.)Q: What is your story about?
A: My story is about a cooling tray of brownies that mysteriously disappears, and an 8 year old aspiring detective named Dan is the only thing that stands between the crime of the century and justice.

2.)Q: What was the inspiration behind your story?
A: Being a camp counselor you meet a lot of kids who have impressionable personalities and there are a lot of mysterious that go on at my work from missing towels to missing underwear?... That and I watch a lot of CSI, Psych, and other crime shows and I love them. Oh and I am always up for a game of “Clue” or “Guess Who?”.

3.)Q: What is the title of your book?
A: Detective Dan: The Brownie Paradox. It is subject to change.

4.)Q: Who are your characters?
A: Danny is a boy who is dreamer and someone who does not like to let things go unsolved. He is friendly and very curious. Along his journey to discover the truth he will meet a host of characters that range from his neighbors, to a policeman, a lost dog, and his family.

5.)Q: Who are the enemies/ villains?
A: The villain of the story is the one who took Dan’s brownies...

6.)Q: Are there special qualities about your main characters?
A: Dan has a knack for problem solving, he is intelligent and because he is at such a young age he see’s and observes things that the adults around him ignore. He pays attention to details and uses his humor and wit to come to his conclusions.

7.)Q: How is your story different from any other child detective story?
A: What separates my story from those done ahead of mine is the fact that the reader connects to Danny. They feel for him, they relate to him and believe in what he is trying to accomplish. Danny is such a compelling character because he captures the essence of innocence through is curiosity and endless hunt of discovery.

8.)Q: Does your story relate to your life?
A: I have had the terrible fate of brownies that have disappeared but not in the way that Dan will. If you read my book then you know what he and I went through. I guess this book is closure for never discovering what truly went on the day the brownies went missing.

9.)Q: What lessons does your story teach us?
A: My story teaches us to always ask questions. By asking questions we interact with the world and by interacting with the world around us we can change aspects of not just our lives but the lives around us. I also teaches us that honesty is the best policy and that curiosity is a blessing.



10.)Q: Do your characters have any flaws?
A: No, not really my characters are kinda one- dimensional because it is a kids book. But it is always subject to change like everything in the book.

11.)Q: What makes your story important?
A: What makes my story important is the fact that I wanted to write it. Like my English teacher told me “Write something you want to write about” I wanted to write a story that I could put my personality into and so that is what I did.

12.)Q: Did you have any struggles/writers block while writing the story?
A: I had a lot of set backs I have changed my topic three times and as the deadline for our rough drafts to be do the story I had I never really liked. Writing this story just came easy, it needs a lot of work still but I’m happy working on it.

13.)Q: Any twists in the plot?
A: It is a mystery, the whole point of the story is to have a twist but what that twist is, well you’ll have to read it to find out...

14.) Q: Tell me more about how your characters met?
A: Well as Dan goes through the motions of solving the crime he visits the people and places around him to help put the pieces of the puzzle back together.

15.) Q: How has writing this story affected you?
A: It has made me ask more questions about the world around me and not take anything for granted.

16.) Q: Do any of your characters have a moral compass?
A: Well Dan is a nice kid who likes to explore he doesn’t have a set compass but he is always looking for answers and exploring all options.

17.) Q: How does Sherlock Holmes affect your story?
A: Funny you ask that Jesse well, Mr. Holmes is portrayed as a witty, intelligent and I see Dan as miniature Sherlock Holmes and he see’s himself as that too.

18.)Q: Will there be murder in your story?
A: Probably not seeing as though the culprit took brownies but you never know in a mystery how things will unfold.

19.) Q: What is your character’s story before the story takes place?
A: Well its normal Saturday afternoon the weekend before school starts up again until this happens. So there is no real back story except that Dan likes playing detective and the brownies his mom was making are now gone...

20.) Q: Why pick Brownies?
A: I chose brownies to make my story stand out from others because missing cookies has been done too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment