Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Way I Am


Whether thought about or not, every human being has morals. Most believe in morals as the right thing to do. They believe in morals as doing something good and helpful. However, it doesn’t always have to be inside those boundaries. Morals do not exactly have to be something good. Morals are a way that each individual lives life. Everybody lives life differently. How somebody lives shows what their morals are.
            Everybody has a different definition of the word ‘moral.’ Some think that the moral thing to do is be kind to everyone, while others may think it’s all about having self-confidence and believing in yourself. One of the most influential ways of explaining your morals is through music. Many singers, rappers, and other music artists create songs that show their beliefs and morals. Eminem (Marshall Mathers) is one of the most famous and influential music artists in today’s society. He often tells true stories of his life and what he went through growing up within his music. He describes what it was like living in a trailer park and having a mother who cared more about drugs and alcohol than anything else. His story of how he became famous shows his dedication and perseverance and can spread a strong message. In his song “Lose Yourself” he advises that everyone should take every opportunity they get. Eminem describes the failures he went through, but he continued to try again with every opportunity. The most powerful line of the song is right at the end, in which he says, “You can do anything you set your mind to, man.” Eminem’s morals are to always use every opportunity you get, and set your mind to whatever you want to do.
            Everybody lives by different morals. Some might disagree with Marshall Mathers, while others are influenced by his life advice. No two people are the same, and no two people live their life exactly the same. Everybody has individual morals which translate to how they live. James Bond is a fictional character who has a ‘moral license to kill.’ His morals are to take care of the “bad guys” and leave the innocent people alive. There are many pacifists who do not believe it is right to kill anybody. However, James Bond has different morals, and believes it is okay to kill those who have murdered other people.
            We all have our own definition. We all have a different meaning. Everybody is different, and so are morals.

2 comments:

  1. Jesse, I genuinely appreciate this perspective. I like that you raise the point that each of us has different morals and your reference to Eminem really forwards and supports that perspective. I've heard that some of the highest level of thinking is the ability to hold two disperate ideas at once.

    Here's my hypothetical for you: I've been best friends with my neighbor since elementary school. We both started playing guitar together in elementary school. During lunch, we'd take a stack of books off the poetry shelf and split them up. We didn't eat on Mondays since the first day of 5th grade. Instead the money went to the photocopying fund for poems or sheet music.

    Junior year of high school we told our parents we'd be at the mall, borrowed his mom's car, and drove 90 miles into the city to a play this open mic night. The club was filled with Berkley and Emmerson students and in about ten minutes I learned just how much I sucked. I crossed my name off the list. Next thing I know my name's being called. "I told the host while you were in the bathroom. Remember Jenny's party."

    We had been playing covers together since 8th grade. People were inviting us places. It was awesome.

    We were sitting around out back when Justin told everyone about a song that he wasn't supposed to tell anyone about. I tried to tell them I was still working on it but he starts quoting some of the lyrics. I have to say, he came up with some incredible riffs for it. So, Jenny says, "You should give that with Mrs. Caradonna, she'd probably give you extra credit or something." Eventually, I ended up playing it for them.


    I started for the stage; turned, "How do you do that?"

    I couldn't believe. The guys before me were actually clapping. And whistling.

    So, just as they come over to us, Justin's mom calls. He takes the phone outside. I find out they're two of the guys from The Upper Open. Justin's brother gave us a bootleg of theirs and we listened to it all summer sophomore year. I told Pat that and he tells me that Adam Graham their front man moved to California with his girlfriend and they were just asked to go into the studio by a pretty well known label.

    Then, I figured out they were actually asking us if we wanted to try out next weekend. Pat gives me his cell phone number. Like, I actually have Pat Copalati's, from The Upper Open, number in my phone. They tell me we both should come by.

    Justin would be perfect for role on the album. But, what if I actually ended up playing with them longer term? Pat Copalati could nail my songs.

    They're heading for the door the second Justin pops back in. They stop him and tell him how awesome he was. He had no idea they were the guys from Upper Open. Justin rushes over and tells me his mom wants us back in 15 minutes.

    "I tried to stall but she knows something's up."

    On the way home we're talking about how awesome it was and that those kids actually liked us.

    ***

    The question is: Do I tell Justin about the audition?

    Put that in any musical context. What would you do in that situation? What should I have done in that situation?

    Or

    What should I have done in that situation? What would you do in that situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse, you bring up a great point on how music can influence the moral beliefs of those who listen. Most artists today add in a message to each of their songs in order to get their listeners to understand and appreciate the originality of their conditions and to make themself better through the perseverance and strengthening of their moral beliefs.

    ReplyDelete